Club History

It is believed that curling started in Buckingham around 1855 to 1857. The Royal Caledonian Curling Club “Annual” for 1857 shows Buckingham Curling Club with a membership of 20. This first club disbanded in 1867.

The second club in 1894 was in a lean-to building on the South side of The Whaleback Skating rink at the rear of the Leger Photo Studio. No records of this second club are available and apparently disbanded shortly after the turn of the century.

The third B.C.C. formed in the fall of 1918 after Maclaren Company offered to build a curling rink and lease it at a nominal fee provided townspeople would support such a venture.

On November 22, 1918 a public meeting held at the Town Hall with 40 persons present, accepted the Maclaren offer Membership rose to 75 the first year with curling commencing January 1, 1919.

Albert Maclaren was elected as a Vice-President of the mother club, The Royal Caledonian Club of Scotland in the late thirties.

The Ladies Club formed in 1937.

In 1947, natural ice was replaced with artificial ice and with other club improvements such as new kitchen” fluorescent lights, etc.

In 1958, saw the original club rooms torn down and the present building constructed, again the compliments of the James Maclaren Company.

The club is a two sheet curling facility.

Past Presidents of the Buckingham Curling Club C.W. Kenny (1963), and R.T. Kenny (1977) were respectively President of the Ottawa Valley Curling Association (OVCA)

In 1993, the building and land property of Noranda Inc. at the time was transferred to a non profit organization – The Buckingham Curling Club.

For a small town, the B.C.C. has established quite a record in the roaring game and to list a few:

  • Won main trophies at Quebec Bonspiel in 1928.
  • Won Governor General’s Trophy 3 time, 1927, 1950, 1951.
  • Won Jubilee Trophy twice in 1938 and 1940.
  • Challenged for Quebec Cup on 6 occasions and always brought it home.
  • Ladies won Coronationn 1943 and Tweedsmuir 1947 Trophy.
  • Early in the 1980’s , the Buckingham Curling Club became a stronghold of the sport in Québec because of it’s many teams winning Provincial and Canadian championships.

In 1989, the club received the Curl Canada Honorable mention award for having sent 4 Provincial champion teams to the Nationals;

  • Scotties : Agnès Charette, skip
  • Mixed : Roger Bertrand, skip
  • Brier : Pierre Charette, skip
  • Senior : Maurice Bourbonnais, skip
  • Skip Agnès Charette was renowned for winning 20 Provincial titles ( 6 Women’s, 11 Senior Women’s, 3 Mixed), 3 Canadian championships (1997,1999,2000) and a silver medal at the first World Senior’s in Scotland in 2000.

For her accomplishments Mrs. Charette was named to the Canadian Curling Hall of Fame in 2000 and to the Québec Curling Hall of Fame in 2011.

Also of note the following Canadian Championship performances:

  • Mixed team skipped by Jean St-Pierre who won Bronze medals in the 1986 and 1990 Canadian Championships;
  • Senior team skipped by Ted Butler who won Silver medal in 2015.

During this same period other teams from the club won prestigious tournaments organized by various Associations such as :

  • Royal Caledonia Curling Club : Colts (5 yrs or less), Lady Gilmour mixed
  • Curling Québec : Cinzano Women’s, Dominion Men’s
  • Ottawa Valley Curling Ass. : City of Ottawa bonspiel (men & senior men)

The Buckingham Curling Club has hosted a number of Provincial Championships which were held in different arenas in town :

  • Men’s : 1984, 1995, 2011
  • Women’s : 2011
  • Senior men’s : 2009
  • Senior women’s : 2009

Since 2009, the club organizes and hosts an annual fall tournament, The Challenge Château Cartier de Gatineau, which is held in a Gatineau arena. It is one of the most important curling competitions in Eastern Canada to be on the World Curling Tour (WCT) calendar.

Since 1866, the club maintains an historical rivalry with the Ottawa Curling Club. Each year, the two clubs participate in the Currier Cup, North America’s second oldest sporting trophy (after the America’s Cup).

Thanks should be given to the founders of our Club and to those who have contributed in sustaining its existence over the years and trust that we will have many more years of enjoyment.